Iddy

Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme (Oyster Card)

Iddy    4

Hello one and all,

Just thought that there might be other members out there who would like to know about this.

The Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme (VCTS) will start on 2 November 2008.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/veterans-oyster-photocard

Follow the instructions and you can get this free travel card for when your in london.

The concession is available to those in receipt of an ongoing payment under the War Pensions Scheme or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. War widows, war widowers and dependants in receipt of the same payments will also be eligible.

If you apply now you should receive your card in time for Remberance Weekend.

Hope to see some of you down there.

BigBod    2

Thats brilliant, I had no idea there was such a thing...deffo be applying for one the them. Save me a small fortune on travel to the footy games. :D

BigBod    2

I just phoned the number in the link, very helpful and an application pack is on it's way. :D

Magnetchief    0

Hell, that's a great deal.

I feel i like applying even though I do not even live in the UK :)

Might come in useful on my next trip to smoke.

I think I must have spent about 100 quid on travel during the Falklands 25th.

Joe Erskine    106

My application form arrived today.

Iddy    4

Must admit mine took a while to arrive

pitbull10    3

Am I reading this right, the application forms for free travel in london for this weekend have arrived in the post today??????

Nice one Boris.

Rob

Joe Erskine    106

Am I reading this right, the application forms for free travel in london for this weekend have arrived in the post today??????

Nice one Boris.

Rob

Rob, you are NOT reading this right. It is not for this weekend but for travel at any time on any TfL transport.

Also it is NOT for those who merely have a War Pension - Read it closely - the bits in bold underlined.

The concession is available to those in receipt of an ongoing payment under the War Pensions Scheme or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. War widows, war widowers and dependants in receipt of the same payments will also be eligible.

In other words a regular monthly War Pension Disability payment, which is why the want a photocopy of the statement from the SPVA / Paymaster of your annual uplift of these paymenst, as proof of entitlement.

Joe Erskine    106

Only in London at the moment, but it's a start, and a continuation of what seems to be a gathering trend of respect for vets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7716198.stm

I good bit of advertising BUT he said it was for all War Pensioners etc and IT IS NOT.

You have to be in receipt of REGULAR PAYMENTS to be entitled.

Magnetchief    0

I good bit of advertising BUT he said it was for all War Pensioners etc and IT IS NOT.

You have to be in receipt of REGULAR PAYMENTS to be entitled.

They send me a regular monthly payment of 111.00 So I guess I would qualify.

Mechanician    4

Applied for pass

cmsutton    0

My application form arrived today.

Joe

Reference the free travel around London on the London Underground. Iapplied for a card and got turned down because I do not get a War Pension. I get a ne off payment of the Pension people until 2011.

I feel let down badly by the system. I dont know if any body can help.

Regards

Clive

Armourer    0

Travel in London over remembrance weekend was ridiculous, they closed most of the underground for "planned upgrading" - nice planning I say.

Joe Erskine    106

Joe

Reference the free travel around London on the London Underground. Iapplied for a card and got turned down because I do not get a War Pension. I get a ne off payment of the Pension people until 2011.

I feel let down badly by the system. I dont know if any body can help.

Regards

Clive

Sorry you feel let down, Clive. I dont know why you applied as it states quite clearly on the tin that this scheme is only for those THAT ARE IN RECEIPT OF REGULAR ONGOING PAYMENTS from a War Pension or from the Armed Forces Compensation scheme. Unfortunately you do not qualify as you do not meet the criteria.

BigBod    2

Travel in London over remembrance weekend was ridiculous, they closed most of the underground for "planned upgrading" - nice planning I say.

They are brilliant at choosing just the right time to close a station...Match day at Chelsea and the underground stopped running 10 minutes before full time....buses are good fun!!! I keep getting the wrong one.

Joe Erskine    106

Hey Hey Yippee!!! :D:D

I sent an email to Boris /TFL about a month ago as a SAMA (82) Trustee thanking them for this scheme, saying how useful it was for Veterans going to London for events and attending hospital appointments.

I pointed out that the scheme expired in May this year and said it would be good if it could be extended, especially during this 30th Anniversary Year which would help our veterans getting around London on their way to and from varous 30th Anniversary events.

I got a reply today to say they were delighted to announce that they intend sending out renewal letters shortly to all veterans in possession of a VCTS Oyster Card inviting them to renew it. So if you have moved since you got your card and didnt tell TFL, you wont get that letter :rolleyes::blink:

As soon as this letter arrives I will post again so that those entitled who didn't apply for a card the first time around, can apply if they wish.

Click here for details --> http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14424.aspx

a485gag    0

I sent an email to Boris /TFL about a month ago as a SAMA (82) Trustee thanking them for this scheme, saying how useful it was for Veterans going to London for events and attending hospital appointments.

I pointed out that the scheme expired in May this year and said it would be good if it could be extended, especially during this 30th Anniversary Year which would help our veterans getting around London on their way to and from varous 30th Anniversary events.

I got a reply today to say they were delighted to announce that they intend sending out renewal letters shortly to all veterans in possession of a VCTS Oyster Card inviting them to renew it. So if you have moved since you got your card and didnt tell TFL, you wont get that letter :rolleyes::blink:

As soon as this letter arrives I will post again so that those entitled who didn't apply for a card the first time around, can apply if they wish.

Joe,

Nice one mate .....

Graeme ;)

Tezbedz    22

Good News

Fletch    5

Good work Joe. I use this quite often.

cmsutton    0

Hello one and all,

Just thought that there might be other members out there who would like to know about this.

The Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme (VCTS) will start on 2 November 2008.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14424.aspx

Follow the instructions and you can get this free travel card for when your in london.

If you apply now you should receive your card in time for Remberance Weekend.

Hope to see some of you down there.

You also got prove ,that you are receiving . I have tried without and they are not playing . If any one can help me to get prove .I would be glad of it o

Joe Erskine    106

You also got prove ,that you are receiving . I have tried without and they are not playing . If any one can help me to get prove .I would be glad of it o

Clive - I do believe I have been through this with you before. If you are NOT receiving a Regular payment from a War Pension - you are not entitled!!!

If you are getting a regular payment then all you have to send them is a copy of your annual uplift letter, that is your proof.

pitbull10    3

I got a letter a few weeks ago saying the renewal would be here soon.

Rob

Joe Erskine    106

Just a reminder for anyone who is in receipt of a regular Payment from a War Pension or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. You are entitled to free travel in the TFL area on Underground, Overground Rail and buses if you apply for a Pass as above