Sign in to follow this  
Knotty Ash

Giving up Smoking

Knotty Ash    17

Please bare with me on this question but if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I went on holiday with a 15 strong group (8 x adults plus 7 x children) who are parents and children from my daughters school. We went last year and had a fab time so saw no issue with repeating a trip together again this year. The 'but' is that one member of the group gave up smoking 8 months ago of his own free will but is struggling with it to the extent that he was irritable on holiday and left the rest of the group feeling as if we were treading on eggshells for a day or so.

The chap in question is x-RAF and although he is a little young to have served in the South Atlantic he did serve in Afghanistan and Iraq and by all accounts saw some 'not so nice stuff'!

His wife is a GP and has no problem with him continuing to smoke, she preferred it when he did. The NHS will not provide any support because so far as they are concerned he has given up and therefore does not need any further help.

I gave up myself very easily over 3 years ago so find it hard to understand why he needs a special chewing gum substitute but I do sympathise with him. To be honest the best advice I could give was to suggest he take up smoking again but he is loathe to do this for the sake of his kids etc.

I said that there must be a forces charity that could help although I'm not suggesting that SAMA is the place for him to go.

Does anyone have any bright ideas, perhaps I should just suggest he tries Help for Heroes, at the very least they might point him in the right direction.

Thanks Guys & Gals

Knotty

don2412    13

Yes, the horns of a dilemma.... I was a professional smoker (30-40 a day) for 35 years, and gave up in 1996. To be honest, I found it easy, as I had reached a point where I WANTED to stop, and that I think is the secret.  On the subject of gum, a good friend of mine gave up about the same time, and took to nicotine gum.  However, it replaced the fags, not as a help to quit.  He chewed the stuff for about 8 years, until he developed a very aggressive stomach cancer which migrated into his lymphatic system.   He has beaten it for the time being, after having much of his small intestine removed, and chemo for a long time, but the caveat is that he has been told it WILL return at some point, which is comforting.....  I am not surprised, as nicotine is an extremely toxic poison, so it has to have had an effect.

My wife smokes, and I don't nip her neck about it - what's the point?  It will only cause bad feeling as described above, and will solve nothing in the end.  In my opinion, whilst I cannot condone smoking, perhaps he would be better off resuming the habit until he reached to point where he wants to stop. 

Or why not take up a pipe?  It is not so dangerous as ciggies since you don't inhale, (all things being equal), and although there is a danger of throat cancer, it might be that safer option?  Also, I believe that pipe smoke is not quite so offensive as cigarette smoke, or at least, that's what I have been told......

Good luck to your mate...............

Knotty Ash    17

cheers Don I appreciate the response and your note about the gum is very worrying so I will pass it on immediately.

I'm inclined to agree with your last paragraph though.

ATB

Knotty